Hay Street ArchitectureHay Street architecture in Perth, Western Australia, is a blend of old and new. Hay Street is the main shopping
street in the city and was named in honour of Robert William Hay, who was the Under Secretary for the
Colonies in the 1830's. The street was established, along with St George's Terrace and Murray Street, as one
of the main streets of Perth, from the time of settlement in 1829. During the 1970's, a section of Hay Street
was closed and that section became known as the Hay Street Mall.
The Melbourne Hotel is located on the corner of Hay and Milligan Streets. Built in 1896, in
Federation Filigree style, the three storey hotel features a mixture of timber and iron decoration parapet with
The Reading Buildings
The Read Building is located at 929 Hay Street. The two storey, Federation Free Classical style
building, was built in 1895 and features a brick facade, unpainted stucco decoration, arched windows, decorative
pediment and colonnaded parapet.
The Mortlock Brothers Building
The Mortlock Brothers Building is located at 914 Hay Street. Established in 1896, the three storey
commercial premises was built in Federation Free Classical style. The building was originally a motorcycle
showroom. It features rendered spandrell which emphasises the wall plane between storeys. The roof is concealed by
a parapet and pediment.
Bank of New South Wales
The former Bank of New South Wales is located at 899-901 in Hay Street. The commercial building was
constructed in 1935 and represents Inter-war Free Classical style.
The Dynon's China Hall Building
The Dynon's China Hall Building is located on Hay Street and is now part of the Stamford Hotel
Development project. The facade is all that remains of the Dynon's China Hall Building which was built in Inter-
War Free Classical style. The two storey commercial building features battlement parapet and decorative pediments
with the facade adorned with 'Greek Style' pilasters, rustication and prominent classical cornice.
The Butterworth Buildings are located at 886 Hay Street . The two storey symmetrical building was
built in Inter-War Free Classical style. The building features a battlement parapet and decorative pediment. The
facade features strongly modelled arched windows with fanlights and pilasters.
Durham House is located at 838-842 Hay Street . Durham House was built in 1916 by owner builder W.
Leaster and design by architect W.A. Nelson. The building was extended in 1924. Federation Free Classical
His Majesty's Theatre
His Majesty's Theatre is located on the corner of King and Hay Street in Perth and was built for
Thomas G Molloy in 1902. Molloy was a Perth businessman (real estate) and one-time Lord Mayor of Perth. The theatre
was named after the reigning British monarch of the time, King Edward VII. Click for more information about
His Majesty's Theatre.
Harper 's Buildings
The Harper's Buildings are located at 810-824 Hay Street. The Harper's Buildings were constructed
in 1937 and remain a fine example of Inter-war Functionalist & Art Deco architecture. The two storey buildings
which included a warehouse were built from brick, concrete and iron. The building housed the first branch of
Yalumba Wines and had a tasting room in the basement. The buildings were constructed by Nathaniel Harper who was a
prominent mining entrepreneur in Western Australia. The building was designed by architect Edwin Summerhayes. The
warehouse section was damaged by fire in 1977.
The A.W.Dobbie & Co Building
The A.W.Dobbie & Co building is located at 804-808 Hay Street. The building was constructed
in 1904 and was designed by architects Oldham & Fox. The symmetrical building features a Venetian Gothic
stucco facade adorned with pilasters (having decorative details), prominent pediment, battlement parapet and
pointed arched windows with fanlights.
The Perth Town Hall is located on the corner of Hay Street and Barracks Street. The Town Hall began
construction in 1867 with the foundation stone being laid by Governor Hampton and was completed in 1870. Built by
convicts, it is one of Perth's oldest buildings and is a mix design of Gothic Revival and French inspiration and
features gothic style brick arches. The architects were Richard Roach Jewell & James Manning. the tower bells were designed to raise the alarm in the
event of a fire in the city and the four sided clock was to provide the public with a time keeping service.
Canton Restaurant - No 532
Criterion Hotel - No 560