Sir JJ Talbott Hobbs MemorialThe Lieutenant General Sir JJ Talbott Hobbs Memorial was the first memorial erected in Perth to commemorate one of
Australia’s most distinguished World War I soldiers and one of Western Australian's finest Architects.Quietly
shaded under a small group of Canary Island palms along Riverside Drive is a 7m high memorial statue of
Lieutenant General JJ Talbott Hobbs. The 1.4m bronze bust was to be the first bronze statue of its kind to be
cast in Western Australia (all casting has previously been done overseas). The statue was the work of
sculptor Edward Kohler from a design by architect Alex Winning (of Hobbs & Winning). The bronze work was
cast by Premier Engineering Co. The 4feet 6inch (1.4 metres) bronze bust of Hobbs portrays him in full
military uniform complete with cap, jacket, Sam Brown belt and his orders and medals. Running down nearly
half the length of the sandstone column is an 8ft (2.4m) replica of his ceremonial sword. The bronze cast
bust is mounted on a Art Deco style fluted column made from Donnybrook sandstone all of which sits on a base
made from polished Mahogany Creek granite. The Memorial was erected in 1940 following a design competition
which was conducted through the office of the Royal Institute of Architects of WA in 1939.
Interesting Facts About the Sir JJ Talbott Hobbs Memorial The memorial was the first memorial in Western Australia to
commemorate a public figure, the second was Sir Bertram MacKennal’s statue of Lord Forrest in Kings Park.
The statue plays a significant role in the annual Perth Anzac Day parade, being the point from which the salute is taken, prior to the minute of silence
and the playing of ‘The Last Post’(Kings Park).
The original model of Hobbs (which was in his exact likeness) was changed by sculptor Edward Kohler
to conceal Hobbs' "stooped posture and small stature".
The site initially selected for the proposed memorial was in Harper Square (Barrack Square).
The original proposal for a full length statue was not implemented due to lack of funds.
The memorial became the biggest cast bronze job to be undertaken in Western Australia at the
Some of JJ Talbott Hobbs greatest architectural achievements were the Weld Club (1892), Claremont's
Christ church (1892), the Windsor (1895), the Swan Brewery (1897), Royal Hotel (1906), Globe Hotel (1910), Savoy
Hotel (1915) and the WA Trustee Building (1927).
Hobbs also designed many residences for wealthy WA businessmen who had prospered during the Gold
Rush period. Some of his most remembered are Haddon Hall in South Perth (1897), Walter James' Minnawarra (1899) and
his own home, the Bungalow (1904).
Click here for more information about Sir J.J. Talbott Hobbs.