St Georges Terrace
Found at the top of St George's Terrace is the Barrack Arch. The Arch, a four storey Tudor arched
gateway, is all that remains of Pensioner's Barrack that was built to house soldiers (and families) of the Enrolled
Pensioner Forces. These soldiers known as the Pensioner Guards were sent to Western Australia to guard the convicts
that were transported to the Colony from 1850-1865. For more info on the Barrack's Arch...
The life size bronze figure of the "Unidentified Photographer" is located at the top of St George's
Terrace next to the Barracks Arch. The bronze was created by Anne Neil in collaboration with Greg James in
The modern dressed "unidentified Photographer" is holding a Box Brownie camera and photographic
plates whilst his Gladstone bag at his feet contains various trade tools symbolic of all the professionals who once
worked on the Terrace. The statue looking down the Terrace is a reflection of times gone by and an acknowledgement
of the people who helped shape the city and State.
The QVI Building is a 159m high, 38 storey office tower located on the corner of St George's
Terrace and Milligan Street in Perth, Western Australia. The building was completed in 1991 by the builders Kajima
Corporation. The interstruct designer was Harry Seidler. Fore more about the QV1 building..
First Church of Christ Science
The First Church of Christ Science building is located at 264 St Georges Terrace (and corner of
Elder Street). Construction of the church began in 1939 with the laying of the foundation stone on the 2nd of
February. The architect was Mr Hargrave of Ochiltree & Hargrave and the builders were A.T. Brine Pty.Ltd.Prior
to the Church purchasing the land in 1926, the site was the location of the Pensioner Soldiers Hospital which was
connected to the Pensioners Barracks via a tunnel. For more information about the church you can visit their
First Church of Christ Science website.
St George's Square
St George's Square is located at 225 St George's Terrace, Perth. Construction of the 20 storey
high-rise began in 1988 for the Wyllie Group and was completed in 1990. The architects were Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown
who designed the building to blend in with the historical turn of the century St George's House and Bishop's See
which are both located nearby. The building boasts fantastic views of the Swan River and overlooks the beautiful
Bishop's Garden. the colonnades are finished in natural white sandstone and polished black granite and the two
lobbies are finished in a classical style. There is an extensive collection of original paintings by Australian
artist displayed inside. These paintings come from the Wyllie Group's private collection.
The Tudor Gothic Cloisters building is located at 200 St George's
Terrace. The building was originally built as a shop in c1850 then later became the colonel's home, boys
school, high school, girls school, boarding school, university hostel, W.A.A.A.F barracks, Dutch Club and a
cafe. For more on The Cloisters...
Old Perth Boy's School
The Old Perth Boy's School is located at 139 St George's Terrace. The school was built in 1853 in
Gothic Revival style and is believed to have been designed by William Sanford who was the State's Colonial
Secretary. The school was built from sandstone that was ferried up the Swan River from Rocky Bay. Inside the school
(which is now a cafe) you can find the names of former students scrawled on a section of wall.
The Kingsgate Apartments go virtually unnoticed at 171 St George's Terrace. The nine floor, 31.4 m
high, colourful apartment complex was built in 2000 and though it reflects modern architecture it fits in
relatively unobtrusively with the historical buildings of its surrounds. For inner city living these apartments are
perfectly located, right in the middle of the Central Business District with views of the Swan River.
St George's Cathedral
St George's Cathedral (Anglican) was designed in 1879 by architect Edmund Blacket and is an example
of Victorian Gothic Revival. Edmund Blacket also designed the St Stephen's (Sydney), St Andrew's Cathedral
(Sydney), St Mary's Cathedral (Sydney) and St Philip's Church (Sydney). For more on St George's Cathedral..